Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Tuesday, May 19
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Mosque leader’s peace offering to attackers
News

Mosque leader’s peace offering to attackers

By Keith PlattSeptember 21, 2015No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

IN a show of peace that reflects a main tenet of the Ahmadiyyan Islamic sect, the leader of a mosque in Langwarrin has shared a meal with the father of a young man who allegedly attacked members of his congregation.

A 61-year-old man was admitted to hospital with a broken nose and other injuries after being attacked by three men who are believed to have jumped a fence to gain entry to the Bait-ul-Salam Mosque in Leisureland Drive.

Police are believed to have identified and spoken with the three alleged intruders who were described by witnesses as being aged in their early 20s, Caucasian and wearing hooded jumpers.

No charges have been laid at this stage and the leader of the mosque, Imam Syed Wadood Janud, has said he does not want retribution.

Instead, he would rather the intruders and their families and friends go to the mosque for a barbecue.

Senior Sergeant Miro Majftorovic, of Frankston CIU, said police are “working closely” with Imam Janud.

”It’s an educational process and the suspects are young, but the course of justice has to be worked through,” Senior Sergeant Majftorovic said.

The assaults at about 9pm on Friday 4 September were the latest in a series of offences against the mosque over the past two years.

In other incidents, bottles have been thrown and worshippers abused by intruders in the grounds of the mosque and sensors have been damaged on the electronic gates.

“If they ring the bell we can let them in,” mosque spokesman Aziz Bhatti said.

Mr Bhatti said Imam Janud had had lunch on Monday 14 September with the father of one of the three men allegedly involved in the latest attack at the mosque. Two police and the three victims had been among the 10 or 12 people at the lunch.

He said the victims had also said they did not want charges laid against their attackers but realised this would be a decision made by police.

“The police have called the families [of the alleged attackers] and have told us it should be seriously investigated,” Mr Bhatti said.

“If the father and police agree, we’d like to have a barbecue or an event of some sort of event if they want to come back again.”

The mosque is the Victorian headquarters of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, an Islamic movement whose members are persecuted by Muslims in some other countries, particularly Pakistan.

Following the latest incident Imam Janud said he believed three men who abused and assaulted members of the group had “probably been here before”.

“[Racism has] been an ongoing issue and we have had people come in four times in the past three months,” Imam Janud said.

“But this is the first time they have confronted and assaulted our members physically and that’s why the police became involved.”

Iman Janud said a man in his 20s entered the Muslim community centre about 9pm and began “racially abusing and using indecent language and cursing” its members.

“He was asked to leave and our members followed him out but there they were met by two others and the trouble began.”

First published in the Mornington News – 22 September 2015

Related Posts

Cheques presented to airshow beneficiaries

May 15, 2026

Shire all in for inclusion

May 15, 2026

Crime Stoppers call reveals alleged cannabis crop and cache of weapons in Mornington

May 15, 2026

Youth mental health forum to spotlight Peninsula support services

May 14, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

47A Strachans Road, Mornington

Property Of The Week January 27, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.